Monday, March 16, 2009

Key Lime Pie and other concerns


Through the years since I graduated high school, I've considered and subsequently rejected the idea of attending any of the reunions with my graduating class. It's not because I've become a much older version of my former self in all the ways we dread being seen at reunions. It's because I don't remember anyone!

I've looked at the yearbooks. There are such heartfelt little messages written and signed by I-haven't-got-a-clue. "Will always remember how much fun we had in typing class together" has me completely stymied, and well, ashamed of myself. There's someone out there who will always remember while I was probably working on frying some brain cells during typing class itself -- that much, I do remember.

It's really not so difficult to skip the reunions. After all, I live across the country from where I went to high school and college, safe from all the potential blackmail those events could bring. But now, the reunions have come to me.

I was lured into using Facebook by a friend who proposed a game of Scrabble. He'd even made the first move and it was my turn. Now, I had a responsibility to start a facebook page and get into the game, in more ways than one.

Employers are now requiring a passable knowledge of "social networking" sites such as Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. I figured that I may as well dive in and see what all the fuss is about, and learn something in the process.

I set up my page and played the word games with my friend. Facebook encouraged me at every turn to see which of the people I know were already on Facebook, or would like to be. In no time at all, I was in touch with family on the East Coast, old friends with whom I'd lost touch for eons, and yes, my graduating class from high school.

It's amazing how many people have been able to post at all times of the day and night. I'm not sure if it's because they're staying tuned in via their cell phones, or if it's because nobody is working.

"So-and-so wants to add you as a friend", my email message read.

So Who? Uh-Oh. I dragged out the yearbook. There was only the most vague impression that I'd seen her face before. She obviously remembered me, and what was I going to do, refuse her offer of friendship? Are Facebookers even supposed to take the term literally?

Seems to me, that anything less than an acceptance would be an insult, so I complied. However, since I was drawing a blank, I asked her what she remembered about me.

"You were always so crazy and fun," she wrote. It's generic enough to make me wonder if she really does recall me. Maybe she was there with me in typing class. Maybe she's just trolling the yearbook, trying to add to her collection, my posted photo indistinguishable from her family or (real) friends.

"What's on your mind?" is the question atop every page on that site. I think it's a very dangerous place to go.

Today, it's a toss-up between Key Lime Pie and pseudo friendships.

No comments: